Rest well and keep your smile healthy
Dr. Tim may recommend a night guard if you suffer from bruxism or related problems. Bruxism, or habitual teeth grinding and clenching, is a fairly common problem. it occurs most frequently at night, but may also occur during the day. Because bruxism usually occurs while asleep, many people with this condition are unaware that they have a problem.
Common signs of bruxism include:
- Chronic or persistent pain in the jaw, face and ear
- A tired or tight feeling in the jaw upon waking
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines, especially in the morning
- Excessively worn tooth enamel and other tooth wear
- Chipped, flattened, cracked or broken teeth
- Excessively worn or deteriorated tooth enamel, which exposes the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
Night guards are a type of mouth guard worn while asleep. This oral appliance works to prevent the teeth of your upper and lower jaw from touching, protecting your teeth from the damaging effects of teeth grinding and clenching and preventing future damage from occurring in the areas of your mouth that have already been affected. Our dentist creates custom night guards to ensure that your appliance fits comfortable and is effective in protecting your teeth.
After your bruxism is under control and the damage has been halted, Dr. Tim will work with you to develop a treatment plan to restore the health, function and appearance of your damaged teeth. This may involve one or more restorative treatments.
We invite you to call the office of Timothy Rothwell at 405-728-7632 to learn more about how you can benefit from night guards in OKC, Oklahoma, and to schedule your consultation with our dentist. We will be happy to address your questions and concerns to ensure that you feel comfortable with this treatment and confident about the function of your night guard. We are committed to helping you maintain a healthy smile.